The Verge New England Cyclocross Series got underway today at the 13th annual Green Mountain Cyclocross Weekend with racers vying for series points in a total of ten categories. Under dramatic skies, Nicolas Bazin (Big-Mat Auber 93) and Crystal Anthony (cyclocrossworld.com) emerged victorious over strong Elite fields, making them the early season leaders of the series.
The Elite Women’s race took shape early on with Anthony pedaling away soon after the leaders hit the barriers for the first time. “I was feeling good and took a chance,” said Anthony.
She was obviously feeling strong, her gap only growing as Maureen Bruno Roy (Bob’s Red Mill p/b Seven Cycles) and Catherine Sterling (Bikeman.com) vied for second spot for the entirety of the race. Roy led Sterling for more than half the race before Sterling created a gap. Roy chased hard, not letting Sterling out of her sight, but ultimately Sterling held Roy off and crossed the line in second.
Eight leaders in the Elite Men’s race organized early and stayed together for the opening laps. Some of the biggest names in North American cyclocross were there: Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld.com teammates Tim Johnson and Jamey Driscoll, Jonathan Page, Dylan McNicholas (cyclocrossworld.com), Justin Lindine (Redline) and Luke Keough (Corner Cycle Cycling Club/Champion), with Frenchman Bazin making a strong showing.
Lindine’s attack in the fifth lap caused the group to break apart, but it was the counterattack by Johnson that stuck, bringing Bazin and Driscoll with him. Bazin and the two teammates traded attacks for the remainder of the race until Bazin ultimately rode away from Vermonter Driscoll on his home turf. Johnson followed for third. McNichols, Page, and Lindine crossed next with a photo finish for fourth.
“I wanted to race my heart out for all the people that came out and were cheering for me, but it was ultimately the strongest man that won,” Driscoll said.
UCI Elite Women Top 10 (complete results at crossresults.com)
1. Crystal Anthony, Cyclocrossworld.com
2. Catherine Sterling, Bikeman.com
3. Maureen Bruno Roy, Bob’s Red Mill p/b Seven Cycles
4. Sally Annis, pedalpowertraining.com
5. Julie Lafreniere, Stevens Racing p/b The Cyclery
6. Maghalie Rochette, PowerWatts – Fit Time
7. Kate Northcott, Beam Team Racing
8. Rebecca Wellons, Seaside Cycle
9. Karin Holmes, Riverside Racing
10. Marion Jamison, LadiesFirst Racing
UCI Elite Men Top 10 (complete results at crossresults.com)
1. Nicolas Bazin, Big-Mat Auber 93
2. Jamey Driscoll, Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld
3. Tim Johnson, Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld
4. Dylan Mcnicholas, Cyclocrossworld.com
5. Jonathan Page
6. Justin Lindine, Redline
7. Flavien Dassonville, Big-Mat Auber 93
8. Daniel Chabanov, Richard Sachs – RGM Watches – Radix
9. Luke Keough, Corner Cycle Cycling Club/Champion
10. Derrick St. John, Stevens p/b The Cyclery