USA Cycling announced today the elite and under-men that will represent the United States at the 2012 UCI Road World Championships in Limburg, Netherlands from September 16 to 23. The elite women and junior riders were named a week earlier.
The United States earned nine spots in the elite men’s road race. The five elite men that raced at the 2012 London Olympic Games, Timmy Duggan (Liquigas-Cannondale), Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda), Chris Horner (RadioShack-Nissan-Trek), Taylor Phinney (BMC Racing) and Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing Team) were automatic nominations to contest the men’s race. The final four, Brent Bookwalter (BMC Racing), Matthew Busche (RadioShack-Nissan-Trek), Lucas Euser (Spidertech p/b C10) and Alex Howes (Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda) were discretionary nominations. Phinney and van Garderen are slated to contest the time trial.
For the under-23 events, three riders were automatic nominations: reigning under-23 national road champion Robert Bush (Chipotle-First Solar Development Team), Joe Dombrowski (Bontrager Livestrong Team) and Larry Warbasse (BMC-Hincapie Sportswear Cycling Team). Rounding off the team are the discretionary nominations, Ian Boswell, Gavin Mannion and Nate Brown, all three from the Bontrager-Livestrong team. Brown and Warbasse will be contesting the under-23 time trial.
The USA Cycling rules state that an under-23 rider may receive an automatic nomination to the USA Worlds Team based on a multi-point list of ordered criteria which includes, finishing top 20 in previous year’s under-23 World Championships, top three in the USA national pro road championships, top three in the final GC in a World Nations Cup 2.Ncup event or Cup.1.NCup event, top five in the final GC of a European 2.2, European 2.1 or European 2.HC, top ranked U.S. eligible athlete from the UCI America Tour rankings with at least 500 points and winner of the U23 national road race championship.
The winner of the U23 national time trial championship is not an automatic nomination. Once the automatic criteria are met, then the rest of the team is named by the USA Cycling Selection Committee.
- Brent Bookwalter (Athens, Ga./BMC Racing)
- Matthew Busche (Wauwatosa, Wisc./RadioShack-Nissan-Trek)
- Timmy Duggan (Nederland, Colo./Liquigas-Cannondale)
- Tyler Farrar (Wenatchee, Wash./Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda)
- Chris Horner (San Diego, Calif./RadioShack-Nissan-Trek)
- Alex Howes (Golden, Colo./Garmin-Sharp-Barracuda)
- Taylor Phinney (Boulder, Colo./BMC Racing) – also competing in TT
- Lucas Euser (Boulder, Colo./Spidertech p/b C10)
- Tejay van Garderen (Boulder, Colo./BMC Racing) – – also competing in TT
- Ian Boswell (Bend, Ore./Bontrager Livestrong Team)
- Nate Brown (Covington, Tenn./Bontrager Livestrong Team) – also competing in TT
- Robert Bush (Louisville, Ky./Chipotle-First Solar Development Team)
- Joe Dombrowski (Marshall, Va./Bontrager Livestrong Team)
- Gavin Mannion (Dedham, Mass./Bontrager Livestrong Team)
- Larry Warbasse (Traverse City, Mich./BMC-Hincapie Sportswear Cycling Team) – also competing in TT