The penultimate stage at the Tour de l’Abitibi brought non-stop attacking with many teams trying to disrupt the tight control of the USA National Team. Though the field was all back together for another bunch sprint, the tactics worked for the Canadian National Team with Brandon Eltz taking the win. Double-stage winner Miguel Byron (USA Selection A) was second and Elliot Doyle (Equipe du Québec) third.
No changes to the overall classifications with the USA National Team solidly in charge of all three jerseys, TJ Eisenhart in the blue leader’s jersey, Alexandre Darville in the orange points jersey and Logan Owen in the blue best young rider jersey.
In its 44th year, the Tour of l’Abitibi is a men junior 17/18 international stage race in Abitibi-Témiscamingue, an area located in northwestern Québec (Canada). It is the only competition of that scope in North America.
Moves and counter-moves were the story of the day on the 115.7-km stage that started and finished in Rouyn-Noranda. Riders from the Colombia, Guatemala, Canada and other American teams all tried to escape and the USA National team also sent riders in the break as the field also fought the wind. But the USA National team had reeled everyone in by the first of the three finishing circuits, a loop of 5.4 km. Winner of the Challenge Sprint, Eltz launched with 100 meters to go for the win.
Barring disaster Eisenhart should win the overall but the battle for the other spots on the final podium will be heated. The stage race concludes on Sunday with the 10-lap circuit race around the city of Rouyn-Noranda for a total of 97 km.
Stage 6 Top 10 Results
1. Brandon Etlz (CAN) Canada 2:43:03
2. Miguel Bryon (USA) USA Selection A
3. Elliot Doyle (CAN) Québec
4. Alexandre Darville (USA) USA 0:01
5. Neil Symington (CAN) Atlantique
6. Setthawut Yordsuwan (THA) Thailande
7. Gregory Daniel (USA) USA
8. Lucas Wardein (USA) Southeastern Regional
9. Jusin Oien (USA) USA Selection A
10. Samuel Travis (CAN) Ontario 0:03
Top 10 GC After Stage 6
1. Taylor Eisenhart (USA) USA 11:28:06
2. Alexandre Darville (USA) USA 0:43
3. Gregory Daniel (USA) USA 0:47
4. Brandon Etlz (CAN) Canada 1:06
5. Logan Owen (USA) USA 1:11
6. Alexey Vermeulen (USA) USA
7. Geoggrey Curren (USA) USA 1:14
8. Evan Hartig (USA) Borah Development 1:15
9. Yohan Patry (CAN) Canada
10. Olivier Brisebois (CAN) Canada 1:26