Once again the USA National Team continued their control of the race, shutting down attacks on the 103-km stage 5 at the 44th Tour de l’Abitibi to force a bunch sprint but they were denied on the stage win on Friday. Another American, the reigning USA National road champion Miguel Bryon of the USA Selection A team claimed his second win of the event. Brandon Eltz (Canada National Team) was second and Alexandre Darville (USA National Team) third.
Even though the temperatures had inched up to 30 C and the rolling terrain was more challenging, the pace stayed fast with an average speed of 43 km/h.
Attacks flew from the start from riders of multiple teams such as Canada and Ontario but nothing was sticking until an attack from Canada National road champion Chris Prendergast (Canada) made a move 60 km into the stage. Joined by Julio Cesar Quintero Maldonado (Colombie) off the front, the two rider pushed the gap up to 30 seconds before being reeled in with 15 km to go. Prendergast did take the two KOM sprints on the stage.
Trying to disrupt the control at the front, sprinter Elliott Doyle (Québec) and his teammate Lambert Gatineau attacked in the final kilometer but the duo was re-absorbed by the charging field with 200 meters to go.
No changes to the general classification with the USA National team holding the top six spots. TJ Eisenhart remains solidly in the brown leader’s jersey. Sprint leader Alexandre Darville in second at 47 seconds and Gregory Daniel in third at 51 seconds. Best young rider Logan Owen is in fifth place at 1:12 down.
Racing continues on Saturday with the penultimate stage, a 115-km loop starting and ending in Rouyn-Noranda. Stage 6 starts at 4:30 pm EST.
Stage 5 Top 10 Results
1. Miguel Bryon (USA) USA Selection A 2:23:13
2. Brandon Eltz (CAN) Canada
3. Alexandre Darville (USA) USA
4. Settawut Yordsuwan (THA) Thailand
5. Jordan Duncan (CAN) BC Cycling
6. Max Toeldte (CAN) Max Atlantique
7. Romeo Daniel Quicibal Estrada (GUA) Guatemala
8. Travis Samuel (CAN) Ontario
9. Adam Kopera (CAN) Ontario
10. Olivier Miclette (CAN) Québec
Top 10 GC After Stage 5
1. TJ Eisenhard (USA) USA 8:44:59
2. Alexandre Darville (USA) USA 0:47
3. Gregory Daniel (USA) USA 0:51
4. Alexey Vermeulen (USA) USA 1:11
5. Logan Owen (USA) USA 1:12
6. Geoffrey Curren (USA) USA 1:14
7. Evan Hartig (Borah Development) 1:15
8. Yohan Patry (CAN) Canada 1:15
9. Brandon Etlz (CAN) Canada 1:19
10. Olivier Brisebois (CAN) Canada 1:26