The roster of elite, U23 and junior athletes that will represent the United States at the 2012 UCI Cyclocross World Championships in Koksijde, Belgium on Jan. 28-29 were announced by USA Cycling today.
Due to a fifth-place ranking at the 2011 World Championships, the United States qualified six starters for the race. The 2012 national champion Jeremy Powers (Team Rapha-Focus) and Tim Johnson (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com), who was the second-ranked American rider in the rankings (17th), were automatic qualifiers for the team. In addition to his 2012 national championship, Powers is the top-ranked rider (11th) in the UCI’s rankings with 984 points and has registered a pair of top-15 finishes at UCI World Cup races.
Joining Powers and Johnson as discretionary selections to the team are: Ryan Trebon (LTS-Felt), Jamey Driscoll (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com), Jonathan Page (Planet Bike) and Chris Jones (Team Rapha-Focus). Trebon, who is one slot behind Johnson in the UCI rankings, has accumulated 365 points in 10 American UCI category-1 races while Driscoll has amassed 244 points and is 30th in the UCI rankings. Page finished 12th at the 2011 UCI Cyclocross World Championships and has registered three top-25 finishes at World Cups this season. Jones has accrued 55 ranking points and is ranked 68th by the UCI.
Each of five women comprising the American elite women’s team are automatic qualifiers. Katie Compton (Rabobank-Giant) rides in on the heels of collecting the eighth national championship of her career. After placing second in the 2011 UCI Cyclocross World Championships, Compton has collected three top-five finishes at UCI World Cup events, including winning the first race in Plzen, Czech Republic on Oct. 16, 2011.
Amy Dombroski (Crankbrothers Race Club), who has a pair of top-15 finishes at World Cups, including a sixth-place result at Plzen, Czech Republic, is also an automatic qualifier. By virtue of finishing 10th at the UCI World Cup race in Namur, Belgium, Kaitlin Antonneau Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com) earned a spot. Meredith Miller (California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized) and Nicole Duke Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com) each registered a top-15 result at a UCI World Cup race with Miller’s coming in Tabor, Czech Republic and Duke’s coming in Plzen, Czech Republic to each qualify a spot. Miller also has amassed the most UCI ranking points from 10 American category-1 races with 327.
Zach McDonald (Team Rapha-Focus) was the lone rider to earn an automatic spot on the team after winning the U23 race at the 2012 USA Cycling Cyclocross National Championships and registering a 10th-place finish at the UCI World Cup in Tabor, Czech Republic. Joining McDonald in the U23 race will be discretionary selection Cody Kaiser (California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized). Kaiser placed second in the U23 race at nationals and was the second-best American U23 rider in three out of four domestic qualification events.
The winner of the junior men 17-18 race, Logan Owen (Team Redline) and the highest-ranked riders in three of four domestic selection races, Andrew Dillman (Bob’s Red Mill) were two automatic qualifiers for the American team. While Dillman recorded 26 points in the domestic selection races, Owen was the second-ranked American rider with 21 points.
Also contesting the junior men’s race are discretionary selections Richard Cypress Gorry (Whole Athlete-Specialized), Tobin Ortenblad (California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized) and Curtis White (Clif Bar Development Cyclocross Team). Ortenblad placed second, Gorry finished third and White was fifth in the junior men 17-18 race.
The 2012 UCI Cyclocross World Championships begin Saturday, Jan. 28 with the juniors and U23 races before culminating with the elite races on Sunday, Jan. 29.
U.S. team roster
- Tim Johnson* (Topsfield, Mass./ Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com)
- Jeremy Powers* (Easthampton, Mass./Team Rapha-Focus)
- Jamey Driscoll (Winooski, Vt./Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com)
- Christopher Jones(Auburn, Calif./Team Rapha-Focus)
- Jonathan Page (Northfield, N.H./Planet Bike)
- Ryan Trebon (Bend, Ore./LTS-Felt)
- Kaitlin Antonneau* (Racine, Wisc./Cyclocrossworld-Cannondale Cyclocrossworld)
- Katie Compton* (Colorado Springs, Colo./Rabobank-Giant)
- Amy Dombroski* (Boulder, Colo./Crankbrothers Race Club)
- Nicole Duke* (Boulder, Colo./Cyclocrossworld-Cannondale Cyclocrossworld)
- Meredith Miller* (Boulder, Colo./California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized)
- Zach McDonald* (Bainbridge Island, Wash./Team Rapha-Focus)
- Cody Kaiser (El Dorado Hills, Calif./California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized)
- Andrew Dillman* (Fairdale, Ky./Bob’s Red Mill)
- Logan Owen* (Bremerton, Wash./Team Redline)
- Richard Cypress Gorry (Payson, Ariz./Whole Athlete-Specialized)
- Tobin Ortenblad (Santa Cruz, Calif./California Giant Berry Farms-Specialized)
- Curtis White (Delanson, N.Y./Clif Bar Development Cyclo Cross Team)
* — Automatic qualifier