The expected showdown between Exergy US Gran Prix of Cyclocross leader Katerina Nash (Luna) and Katie Compton (Rabobank Giant) just didn’t happen instead Compton did was she does best, go to the front and power away. Another solo win, another C1, for the US National Champion Compton at day one of the Derby City Cup in Louisville.
Will the showdown happen tomorrow? “I just take one day at a time and I wait to see how I feel. Make a plan for the race and just see how it unfolds after the fist lap where I am, I don’t know. Today I wanted to go, make a hard effort and win today, since it’s a C1, good prize money too.” laughed Compton.
With the Master Cross Worlds coming to Louisville at the end of January, everyone was curious to see what the course at the Eva Bandman Park would look like, and it is good. Long, the longest it can be under UCI rules at 3,5km, fast, technical sections and feeling of a pump track in some spots.
And with the Elite Worlds coming to the same venue, the women’s field had a who’s who of the North American racers, all coming for a chance to experience the course. The pace was fast from the start, first with Nicole Duke (Cannondale Cyclocrossworld.com) getting the holeshot then with French Champion Caroline Mani taking over the pace making. A group of five quickly separated itself from the field, Compton, Mani, Laura Van Gilder (C3-Mellow Mushroom), Nash and Duke were off. Behind another chase was being mounted by Kaitie Antonneau (Cannondale Cyclocrossworld.com).
Compton kept applying the pressure until she noticed a gap was forming. “I saw Katerina, I think she maybe she was on third or fourth wheel, a little gap so I figured I might as well attack early and make her work for it. I wasn’t actually planning on getting a gap that early, I figured that I might as well keep on the pace and let them chase me.”
Compton was off with a gap that quickly grew with Nash and Mani together behind, quickly settling into the battle for second. The two traded pulls at the front, pushing each other to the limit until Mani crashed hard in a tricky corner on the fifth and final lap. That was enough for Nash to take second. Having another great ride, Antonneau had been closing in on the duo and passed Mani to take third place.
Mani held on for fourth before getting her sprained wrist looked at.
Top 15 Results
1. Katie Compton (Rabobank – Giant) 0:45:11
2. Katerina Nash (Luna Pro Team) 0:00:31
3. Kaitlin Antonneau (Cannondale Cyclocrossworld) 0:00:41
4. Caroline Mani (CC Etupes) 0:01:05
5. Chloe Forsman (Race Club 11) 0:01:19
6. Laura Van Gilder (C3 Mellow Mushroom) 0:01:20
7. Meredith Miller (California Giant Berry/Specialized) 0:01:34
8. Nicole Duke (Cannondale Cyclocrossworld) 0:01:45
9. Mical Dyck (Pro City Racing) 0:02:14
10. Andrea Smith (LadiesFirst Racing) 0:02:20
11. Georgia Gould (Luna Pro Team) 0:02:25
12. Susan Butler (River City Bicyles) 0:02:29
13. Pepper Harlton (Juventus Cycling Club) 0:02:35
14. Katherine Sherwin (Stan’s NoTubes Elite Cyclocross Team) 0:02:59
15. Amanda Carey (Kenda/Felt)