“All guns blazing” is what Jeremy Powers (Rapha-Focus) said he would do for the third and final race of the Cincinnati3 Cyclocross Festival and that’s exactly what he did. With his fast start, Powers took the holeshot and led the field onto the tough Harbin Park course. A grassy course made spongier with rains earlier this week, some muddy sections forcing pit stops, barriers, steep kicks, fast descents and a double sandpit. All were on hand for the C1, the race with the big money and the big UCI points.
But causing a surprise, Powers’ teammate Zach McDonald came around him to take the lead into the field. Still in school, McDonald had flown in this weekend to race at Harbin Park. McDonald started to quickly pull away and the field exploded under the pressure. Powers and Ryan Trebon (LTS/Felt) were together behind, both had each won, no dominated, a race this weekend. Then a small gap to a group with Cannondale-cyclocrossworld.com teammates Tim Johnson and Jamey Driscoll, Ben Berden (Ops Ale-Stoemper) and Tristan Schouten (cyclocrossracing,com). Schouten had driven eight hours after finishing fifth at the Iceman to race at Harbin Park.
Junction at the front, leaving Trebon in a sandwich between McDonald and Powers with the chase group not far behind. Then disaster for Johnson on the second lap,, he crashed twice, and the second time by all accounts was a hard one. He lost contact with the group and slowly made his way to the pit for a bike change. By the time he got back into the race, he was in 15th place with a nasty bruise on his left leg. He ultimately pulled the pin.
Back at the front, Powers took the reigns, hit the gas and got a few bike lengths which became five seconds then ten seconds to Trebon who had dropped McDonald when giving chase. Now solo, Driscoll was closing in on McDonald with Berden not far behind him. The chase was on on multiple fronts.
With two to go, Powers was maintaining his gap, pushing the envelope whenever Trebon was closing in. McDonald was still solo in third 20 seconds back while Berden had caught Driscoll. With one lap to go, Powers didn’t let up but neither did Trebon, but were going full gas, giving it everything and ultimately Powers was able to hold off Trebon to take the win, his first C1 of the year. McDonald was third and Berden outsprinted Driscoll for fourth,
Top 15 Results
1. Jeremy Powers (Rapha-Focus) 55:34:00
2. Ryan Trebon (LTS/Felt) 55:46:00
3. Zach Mcdonald (Rapha-Focus) 56:43:00
4. Ben Berden (Ops-Ale Stoemper) 57:19:00
5. James Driscoll (Cannondale p/b cyclocrossworld.com) 57:26:00
6. Tristan Schouten (cyclocrossracing.com) 58:53:00
7. Troy Wells (Clif Bar) 59:21:00
8. Mitchell Hoke (Clif Bar) 59:25:00
9. Barry Wicks (KONA) 59:32:00
10. Travis Livermon (Smartstop-Mock Orange) 1:00:30
11. Sean Babcock (KONA) 1:00:51
12. Cody Kaiser (California Giant/Specialized) 1:01:23
13. Gian Dalle Angelini (Rio Blanco) 1:01:24
14. Ryan Knapp (Bob’s Red Mill) 1:02:08
15. Jake Wells (Stan’s No Tubes) 1:02:18