US Cyclocross Champion Katie Compton (Rabobank Giant) claimed another solo win, this time at Devou Park, at the Darkhorse Cyclo-Stampede International on day one of the Cincinnati3 Cyclocross Festival. The course, with its bowl-like terrain, was tough once again, with a lot of climbing, and barely any flats. And to make it even more interesting, mud! After six hours of non-stop rain the day before, the backside of the course had a slick mudbog which seemed to get wetter as the day went on, even though the sun was shining.
French Champion Caroline Mani took the holeshot while Compton slotted into fifth, with Sue Butler (River City Bicycles), Meredith Miller (CalGiant) and Georgia Gould (Luna) in between, More re-shuffling at the front with Butler, then Miller taking turns setting the pace. By the end of the first lap, three riders, Miller, Compton and Gould were pulling away. But Gould just didn’t have it today and would fade back leaving Miller on Compton’s wheel.
The two stayed together for about one more lap, until Compton powered away. And that was it. Thinking of the three-race weekend, Compton settled in at the front, slowly building a gap to take another victory. Miller rode powerfully to take second.
Behind the two, the chase was on for third place. U23 US National Champion Kaitie Antonneau (Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com) was surging up, picking off riders as she went. She caught and passed Mani, then Butler and made her way up to Gould. The two rode together briefly but with less than three laps to go, Antonneau simply powered away to take third on the day.
Top 10 Results
1. Katherine Compton (Rabobank GIant) 39:24
2. Meredith Miller (CalGiant/Specialized) 40:02
3. Kaitlin Antonneau (Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld.com) 41:04
4. Caroline Mani (CC Etupes Le Doubs Pays De Montbeliard) 41:32
5. Susan Butler (River City Bicycles) 41:41
6. Georgia Gould (Luna) 42:14
7. Devon Gorry (Rambuski Law) 44:45
8. Katherine Sherwin (Stan’s NoTubes Elite) 45:07
9. Coryn Rivera (Marian University) 45:48
10. Rebecca Blatt (Team Kenda) 46:20