This weekend, Irvine’s Hidden Valley Park plays host to Spooky Cross Weekend, California’s premier cyclocross event and the finale of Cross After Dark UCI night race series.
In addition to nearly 1,000 amateur competitors, the elite professional men and women’s fields are loaded with world-class talent.
Follow @podium_live for live updates of Elite Women and Men’s races this weekend.
The series overall win will be a race to the finish line. Early series races were dominated by riders who are either based in Europe or will be traveling to the first World Cup in the Czech Republic so look for a change of leadership on race day.
The men’s elite field is highlighted by Belgian star Ben Berden (Stoemper), reigning United States National Champion Todd Wells (Cal Giant/Specialized) as well as current US Gran Prix of Cyclocross leader Ryan Trebon (LTS/Felt). With series leader Jeremy Powers (Team RAPHA-Focus) racing abroad at the World Cup events in the Czech Republic this weekend, an outright win by Berden or Trebon would seal the series championship and the Castelli Winner’s Jersey. Also racing will be Sacramento’s Chris Jones (Team RAPHA-Focus) who is beginning to show his strength.
On the elite women’s side, Gateway Cross Cup winner – the 3rd race in the Cross After Dark Series – Teal Stetson-Lee (Cal Giant/Specialized) lies 2nd in the overall standings to Katerina Nash (Luna). Nash’s trip to her native Czech Republic for the World Cup race this weekend opens the door for Stetson-Lee to take the series overall title with a strong ride in Irvine. While Stetson-Lee may look to have a lock on the Castelli Winner’s Jersey, current French National Champion Caroline Mani is showing great adaptation to the US style of racing and trailing by a few points. In addition Sue Butler (River City/Ridley) will be bringing her early season form to the finale race.
The Elite Women start at 7:20 pm on Saturday evening followed by the Elite Men at 8:30pm for the Cross After Dark finale. On Sunday, the Elite Women race at 2:20pm followed by Elite Men at 3:30pm – all times PT.
Update: Points are awarded to top 15
Top 10 Cross After Dark Elite Men Points Standings
1. Jeremy Powers (Team Rapha-Focus) 80 pts
2. Ben Berden (Stoemper) 71
3. Bart Wellens (Telenet Fidea Cycling Team) 69
4. Jonathan Page (Planet Bike/Blue) 62
5. Ryan Trebon (LTS/Felt) 60
6. Lars van der Haar (Rabobank) 55
7. Rob Peeters (Telenet Fidea Cycling Team) 50
8. Todd Wells (Specialized Racing) 46
9. Christian Heule (Cannondale p/b cyclocrossworld.com) 40
10. James Driscoll (Cannondale p/b cyclocrossworld.com) 37
Top 10 Cross After Dark Elite Women’s Points Standings
1. Katerina Nash (Luna Pro Team) 110 pts
2. Teal Stetson-Lee (California Giant/Specialized) 65
3. Meredith Miller (California Giant/Specialized) 65
4. Kathy Sherwin (Stan’s NoTubes Cyclocross Team) 44
5. Caroline Mani (CC Etupes Doubs Pay) 40
6. Amy Dombroski (Crankbrothers Race Club) 40
7. Pepper Hartlon (Juventus Cycling Club) 32
8. Susan Butler (River City Bicycles/Ridley) 30
9. Kelli Emmett (Giant Bicycles) 30
10. Mical Dyck (Pro City Racing) 26