In both the men’s and women’s Downtown Twilight Criterium, the pace was very fast and the winner came out of a break but that’s where the similarities end. Lauren Hall (Colavita/Forno d’Asolo) outsprinted her breakmates for the win in stage 5 of the BMC Cascade Cycling Classic while USA U23 Crit Champion Rob Bush (Chipotle Development Team) claimed victory in a chaotic and confusing finish after his 6-rider break lapped the field.
No changes to the general classification, Clara Hughes (Cycling BC) and Francisco Mancebo (Realcyclist.com) remain in yellow with one stage to go.
Women. Riders were shelled from the back early on in the 50-minute criterium as the field amped up the pace around the four-corner 1.3-km course in Bend. The first prime brought a 25 mph lap with Andrea Dvorak (Colavita/Forno d’Asolo) taking the $100 prize. Three riders quickly counter-attacked but were quickly brought back with the peloton re-shuffling at the front. Attacks continued but nothing stuck with yellow jersey Hughes shutting down dangerous moves.
Past the halfway mark seven riders managed to escape. The break included NOW and Novartis for MS duo of Erika Graves and Anne Samplonius, Hall and her teammate Kristin Sanders, Meredith Miller (TIBCO/To The Top), Pascale Schnider (Vanderkitten-Focus), Tayler Wiles (Peanut Butter & Co Twenty12) and Kristen LaSasso (Primal/MapMyRide).
From 30 seconds at six laps to go, the gap was slowly coming down but the break stayed away to the finish where Hall took the win. Miller was second and Samplonius, third.
Hughes finished safely in the peloton to keep hr GC lead.
Men. A third of the way into the 75-minute aggressive and fast race, an attack stuck and three riders were off the front. Luis Amaran (Jamis/Sutter Home), Mike Northey (Pureblack Racing) and Bush, in his Red, White and Blue kit were off with three more chasing. A few laps later, Andy Jacques-Maynes (Bissell), Jacob Rathe (Chipotle Development Team) and Jesse Anthony (Kelly Benefit Strategies-Optumhealth) had made junction and the six men pushed on.
Missing the move, V Australia riders put in some riders to help RealCyclist chase trying to reduce the gap now up to 40 seconds with 35 minutes to go. A few laps later, the break was coming up to the back of the strung out field and the catch was made with 20 minutes to go.
It was time for the teams with riders in the break to organize with Bissell and KBS-Optumhealth battling for control. Bush took the win in a mass of confusion with Anthony, second and Amaran, third.
Mancebo continues to lead the general classification ahead of his teammate Cesar Grajales.
Racing concludes tomorrow with the Awbrey Butte Circuit Race where the women do 4 laps for 67 miles and the men do 5 laps for 83 miles.
Women Stage 4 Downtown Twilight Criterium Results (Complete Results)
1. Lauren Hall (Colavita/Forno d’Asolo) 51:42
2. Meredith Miller (TIBCO/To The Top)
3. Anne Samplonius (NOW and Novartis for MS)
4. Pascale Schnider (Vanderkitten-Focus)
5. Tayler Wiles* (Peanut Butter & Co.Twenty12)
6. Kristen T Lasasso (Primal/MapMyRide)
7. Kristin Sanders (Colavita/Forno d’Asolo) +00:13
8. Clara Hughes (Cycling BC) +00:15
9. Erinne Willock (Team TIBCO/To the Top)
10. Kaytee Boyd (BikeNZ)
Men Stage 4 Downtown Twilight Criterium Results
1. Robert Bush (Chipotle Development Team) 1:16:01
2. Jesse Anthony (Kelly Benefit Strategies-Optumhealth)
3. Luis Amaran (Jamis/Sutter Home)
4. Michael Northey (Pureblack Racing)
5. Andy Jacques-Maynes (Bissell)
6. Jacob Rathe* (Chipotle Development Team) +00:36
7. Carlos Alzate (Team Exergy) +01:35
8. Ricky Escuela (Full Circle Cycling)
9. Joseph Lewis* (Trek-Livestrong)
10. Gregory L Craddock* (Trek-Livestrong)
Women GC After Stage 4
1. Clara Hughes (Cycling BC) 7:54:45
2. Erinne Willock (Team TIBCO/To the Top) +00:13
3. Kristin Mcgrath (Peanut Butter & Co.Twenty12) +00:19
4. Kristin Armstrong (Peanut Butter & Co.Twenty12) +00:20
5. Tara Whitten (Team TIBCO/To the Top) +00:28
6. Rushlee Buchanan* (Colavita/Forno d’Asolo) +01:07
7. Janel Holcomb (Colavita/Forno d’Asolo) +01:14
8. Alison Shanks (BikeNZ) +01:29
9. Jade Wilcoxson (NOW and Novartis For MS) +01:34
10. Carmen Small (Team TIBCO/To the Top) +01:34
Men GC After Stage
1. Francisco Mancebo (Realcyclist.com) 7:40:35
2. Cesar Grajales (Realcyclist.com) +00:40
3. Jeremy Vennell (Bissell Pro Cycling) +00:54
4. Luis Romero Amaran (Jamis Sutter Home) +01:00
5. Tom Zirbel (Jamis Sutter Home) +01:14
6. Lachlan Morton* (Chipotle Development Team) +01:22
7. Chris Baldwin (Bissell Pro Cycling) +01:24
8. Phil Gaimon (Kenda/5hr Energy p/b Geargrinder) +01:40
9. Carter Jones* (Trek-Livestrong) +01:44
10. Glen Chadwick (Pureblack Racing) +01:47