Can anyone beat Clara Hughes? Will the Spidertech p/b C10 numbers prevail this year? We’ll know after this weekend.
An impressive field of over 200 cyclists from top cycling teams and provincial associations will be competing in the Elite road race and time Trial race at the 2011 IMMUNITY-FX Canadian Road Championships held in the Greater Toronto Area, from Thursday June 24 to July 3rd.
The organization have committed to providing “immediate information” via social media. The Facebook page will have general information about the event as well as photos, updated daily. On Twitter (@CanRoadCycling), cycling fans will have up-to-the-minute information on what’s happening in the peloton, major breaks, gap times and lap information.
As of Monday, a total of 228 road cyclists have pre-registered for the elite event, including some of Canada’s top riders such as, to name just a few:
- Tara Whitten (TIBCO/To-The-Top), World champion, Omnium
- Joëlle Numainville (TIBCO/To-The-Top), defending Canadian Champion, Road
- Julie Beveridge (Vienne Futuroscope), defending Canadian Champion, Time Trial
- Will Routley (SpiderTech p/b C10) defending Canadian Champion, Road
- Svein Tuft (SpiderTech p/b C10), defending Canadian Champion, Time Trial
- Clara Hughes, 2011 Pan-American Champion, Road Race and Time Trial
- Leah Kirchmann (Colavita/Forno d’Asolo), defending Canadian Champion, Criterium
- Dominique Rollin (Française Des Jeux)
- Christian Meier and Andrew Pinfold (UnitedHealthcare)
- David Veilleux (Team Europcar)
- Rob Britton (BISSELL Pro Cycling)
- Nic Hamilton (Jelly Belly p/b Kenda)
- Heather Logan-Sprenger (Colavita/Forno d’Asolo)
- Erinne Willock (TIBCO/To The Top)
In addition, riders from important road cycling trade teams such as SpiderTech powered by C10, Juvéderm-Specialized, TIBCO /To-The-Top, Vienne Futuroscope, Team Europcar, United Healthcare, Garneau-Club Chausse-Norton Rose, Team H&R Block, Stevens Racing p/b The Cyclery, Nativo Concept, Trek Red Truck Racing just to name a few are enlisted to compete. (The full list of pre-registered riders can be found on www.ontariocycling.org.)
The Time Trials and the Road Race will be disputed in various municipalities in the Greater Toronto Area, for the Junior (U19), Espoirs (U23), Elite and Master categories throughout the next two weeks.
Schedule – Championship Races
- Thursday, June 23 – 9:00am – Time Trials (Elite Men, Women) [Belfountain/Region of Peel]
- Friday, June 24 – 6:00pm Road Race (Elite Women) [Milton/Burlington]
- Saturday, June 25 – 4:00pm Road Race (Elite Men) [Milton/Burlington]
- Sunday, June 26 – 11:00am Criterium (Elite Men, Women) [Georgetown/Halton Hills]
- Thursday, June 30 – 9:00am Time Trials (Jr., Masters, Para-cycling) [Belfountain/Region of Peel]
- Friday, July 1 – 8:30am Criterium (Jr, Masters) [Toronto]
- Saturday, July 2 – 9:30am – Road Race (Para-cycling) [Caledon/Region of Peel]
- Sunday, July 3 – 9:30am – Road Race (Jr, Masters) [Burlington/Hamilton]
* All times Eastern