Decision For Stage 1 Tomorrow Morning

Posted on 14. May, 2011 by in news, race, releases

A snow storm is on its way to Lake Tahoe region just in time for the start of the Amgen Tour of California. Forecast are still calling for 90% chance of snow on Sunday with new snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

The race organizer issued the following statement regarding the impact, if any, on the race:

“The 2011 Amgen Tour of California is scheduled to kick off Sunday, May 15, in South Lake Tahoe at 10:30 a.m. PT.  As everyone is aware, there is a storm front predicted to reach the area.  Therefore race organizers, in conjunction with the commissaires, teams and public safety organizations, have developed a number of contingency plans with the safety of the riders and fans being the number one priority.  The weather is constantly changing in the Sierras, and our team will be assessing weather conditions throughout the morning.  A decision on any changes to the route and timing will be made at 9 a.m. PT tomorrow, and will ultimately be based on what is best and most safe for our riders and spectators.” – Andrew Messick, President of AEG Sports, presenter of the Amgen Tour of California

Teams will be informed by 8am tomorrow morning. Possible contingency plans include, and are not limited to, a short prologue, reversing the route, running the stage on the western side of the Lake, postponing the start. (Read more here)

Tags: , ,

Comments are closed.