Sixteen athletes will represent the United States at the UCI Pan American Road and Track Continental Championships held on May 1 – 8 in Bogota, Colombia. The track events will take place May 1-5 followed by the time trials on May 6th and the road race on May 8th.
In the men’s events, a young but talented pair of Americans will represent the red, white and blue. Jacob Rathe (Garmin) earned an automatic nomination to the squad by virtue of his 93rd-place ranking in the UCI Americas Tour Rankings. He’ll be joined in the race against the clock, as well as on the road race course, by discretionary pick and time trial specialist Lawson Craddock (Trek-Livestrong).
In the women’s time trial, Amber Neben (HTC-HighRoad) and Evelyn Stevens (HTC-Highroad) will both race the clock as discretionary selections. Following the time trial, Stevens and Mara Abbott (Diadora-Pasta Zara) received automatic nominations to compete in the road race by means of their 22nd- and 18th-place spots in the most recent UCI Individual Rankings. The pair will be joined on the road course by discretionary picks Neben and Theresa Cliff-Ryan (Colavita Forno D’Asolo).
Two automatic nominees will lead the men’s team: Dean Tracy (Project 2012) and Jimmy Watkins (OUCH Pro Cycling). Tracy and Watkins will team up with discretionary teammate Michael Blatchford (Project 2012) in the team sprint. Watkins will also compete in both the sprint and the keirin along with discretionary team member Kevin Mansker (Momentum Coaching Group). Other discretionary picks to represent the red, white and blue on the track in Colombia are Kit Karzen (NOW-MS Society), who will contest the omnium, and T.J. Mathieson (Momentum Coaching Group p/b Atomic) who will test his skills in the kilometer time trial.
The women’s team at the velodrome will be comprised of four discretionary nominees. Christin Walker and Tela Crane (Lake Washington Velo) will join forces for the team sprint before both competing in the keirin. Walker will also contest the sprint and the 500-meter time trial, along with Dana Feiss (CPT-Home Depot Center Team). Cari Higgins (Peanut Butter & Co TWENTY 12) will represent the U.S. in the omnium.
- Jacob Rathe (Portland, Ore./Garmin) – Road Race, Time Trial
- Lawson Craddock (Houston, Texas/Trek-Livestrong) – Road Race, Time Trial
- Amber Neben (Lake Forest, Calif./HTC-HighRoad) – time trial, road race
- Evelyn Stevens (Dennis, Mass./HTC-HighRoad) – time trial, road race
- Mara Abbott (Boulder, Colo./Diadora-Pasta Zara) – road race
- Theresa Cliff-Ryan (Cedar Springs, Mich./Colavita-Forno D’Asolo) – road race
- Dean Tracy (Portland, Ore./Project 2012) – team sprint
- Jimmy Watkins (Bakersfield, Calif./OUCH Pro Cycling) – team sprint, sprint, keirin
- Michael Blatchford (Cypress, Calif./Project 2012) – team sprint
- Kevin Mansker (Long Beach, Calif./Momentum Coaching Group) – sprint, keirin
- Kit Karzen (Beverly Hills, Calif./NOW-MS Society) – omnium
- T.J. Mathieson (Redondo Beach, Calif./Momentum Coaching Group p/b Atomic) – kilo
- Christin Walker (Houston, Texas) – team sprint, sprint, keirin, 500-meter time trial
- Tela Crane (Seattle, Wash./Lake Washington Velo) – team sprint, keirin
- Dana Feiss (Telford, Pa./CPT-Home Depot Center Team) – sprint, 500-meter time trial
- Cari Higgins (Boulder, Colo./Peanut Butter & Co TWENTY 12) – omnium