In the not a surprise department, USA Cycling announced the Elite Men name to the U.S. National Team for the 2011 UCI Cyclocross World Championships. The Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com trio Jeremy Powers, Tim Johnson and Jamey Driscoll with Jonathan Page and Ryan Trebon will be racing in St. Wendel, Germany, January 29-30. It is the same five men that represented the USA last year in Tabor, Czech Republic where Johnson was the highest-placed American Tim Johnson 14th at two minutes and 28 seconds off the winning pace of Zdenek Štybar.
As a reminder, the 13 riders were named for Elite Women, U23 Men and Junior 17/18 Men last week.
With Todd Wells (Specialized) declining the automatic nomination he earned by virtue of his elite national championship victory, two automatic qualifiers were left to be named to the team: Jeremy Powers (Cannondale-cyclocrossworld.com) and Tim Johnson (Cannondale- cyclocrossworld.com). The pair earned their spots on the start line as the top two Americans in the UCI cyclocross rankings, in 12th and 15th respectively. They are also one and two in the US Gran Prix of Cyclocross and the USA Cycling Cyclocross National Calendar standings.
Joining Powers and Johnson in the elite men’s race will be three discretionary picks: Ryan Trebon (Bend, Ore.), who was the silver medalist at nationals; James Driscoll (Winooski, Vt.), who followed up a solid USGP season with a fourth-place effort at nationals; and Jonathan Page (Northfield, NH), the 2007 worlds silver medal and the most consistent American male on the UCI World Cup circuit this season.
UCI Cyclocross World Championships
- Jeremy Powers (Easthampton, Mass./Cannondale-cyclocrossworld.com
- Tim Johnson (Topsfield, Mass./Cannondale-cyclocrossworld.com)
- Ryan Trebon (Bend, Ore.)
- James Driscoll (Winooski, Vt./Cannondale-cyclocrossworld.com)
- Jonathan Page (Northfield, NH)
- Katie Compton (Colorado Springs, Colo./Planet Bike-Stevens Bikes)
- Susan Butler (Portland, Ore./Hudz-Subaru)
- Meredith Miller (Fort Collins, Colo./California Giant Strawberries-Specialized)
- Amy Dombroski (Boulder, Colo.)
- Kaitlin Antonneau (Racine, Wis./Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com)
- Daniel Summerhill (Centennial, Colo./Garmin-Transitions-Team Holowesko Partners)
- Zach McDonald (Bainbridge Island, Wash./Rapha-Focus)
- Jerome Townsend (Princeton, Mass./BikeReg.com/Joe’s Garage/Scott)
- Cody Kaiser (El Dorado Hills, Calif./California Giant Strawberries-Specialized)
- Luke Keough (Sandwich, Mass./Champion System p/b Keough Cyclocross)
- Jeff Bahnson (Newark, Del./Van Dessel Factory Team)
- Andrew Dillman (Fairdale, Ky./Red Zone Cycling)
- Bjorn Fox (Incline Village, Nev./Clif Bar Development Cross Team)