USA Cycling announced the first round of nominations to the United States National Team for the 2011 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships, slated for January 29-30 in St. Wendel, Germany.
Thirteen athletes have been named to the elite women’s, U23 men’s, and junior men’s squads based on their performances over the last cyclo-cross season. Nominations to the elite men’s team will be announced on Friday, January 14.
Leading the elite women’s squad will be seven-time national champion Katie Compton (Planet Bike-Stevens Bikes). A serious contender for the world title, Compton earned an automatic nomination to the team after taking four of the five World Cup wins this season.
Another automatic qualifier for the women’s team is Sue Butler (Hudz-Subaru). Butler earned her nomination based on her 14th-place finish at the second World Cup this season. She has been active on the ‘Cross World Cup circuit and recently ended her domestic season with fifth-place at the national championships in Bend.
Joining Compton and Butler on the start line in Germany will be discretionary nominees Meredith Miller (California Giant Strawberries-Specialized), Amy Dombroski and Kaitlin Antonneau (Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com).
Two espoirs earned automatic nominations to the U23 men’s team: Daniel Summerhill (Garmin-Transitions-Team Holowesko Partners) and Zach McDonald (Rapha-Focus). Summerhill and McDonald went one and two in the U23 contest at the USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships last month. Additionally, the pair finished 29th and 28th respectively at the world championships last year.
Grabbing discretionary nominations to the U23 men’s team are national championship bronze medalist Jerome Townswend (BikeReg.com/Joe’s Garage/Scott) as well as Cody Kaiser (California Giant Strawberries-Specialized) and Luke Keough (Champion System p/b Keough Cyclocross).
Earning the sole automatic nomination to the junior men’s team for St. Wendel is Jeff Bahnson (Van Dessel Factory Team). Bahnson earned his nomination by virtue of his win at the USA Cycling Cyclo-cross National Championships last month. Toeing the line alongside Bahnson will be discretionary nominees, national championship silver and bronze medalists Bjorn Fox (Clif Bar Development Cross Team) and Andrew Dillman (Red Zone Cycling).
- Katie Compton (Colorado Springs, Colo./Planet Bike-Stevens Bikes)
- Susan Butler (Portland, Ore./Hudz-Subaru)
- Meredith Miller (Fort Collins, Colo./California Giant Strawberries-Specialized)
- Amy Dombroski (Boulder, Colo.)
- Kaitlin Antonneau (Racine, Wis./Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com)
- Daniel Summerhill (Centennial, Colo./Garmin-Transitions-Team Holowesko Partners)
- Zach McDonald (Bainbridge Island, Wash./Rapha-Focus)
- Jerome Townsend (Princeton, Mass./BikeReg.com/Joe’s Garage/Scott)
- Cody Kaiser (El Dorado Hills, Calif./California Giant Strawberries-Specialized)
- Luke Keough (Sandwich, Mass./Champion System p/b Keough Cyclocross)
- Jeff Bahnson (Newark, Del./Van Dessel Factory Team)
- Andrew Dillman (Fairdale, Ky./Red Zone Cycling)
- Bjorn Fox (Incline Village, Nev./Clif Bar Development Cross Team)