A new women’s team, the Primal/MapMyRIDE Professional Women’s Racing powered by BH Bikes, joins the peloton in 2011: the Primal/MapMyRIDE Professional Women’s Racing p/b BH Bikes.
Primal Wear, a leading designer and manufacturer of branded and custom cycling apparel, today announced the official launch of Primal/MapMyRIDE Professional Women’s Racing powered by BH Bikes. The formation of the eight-member team aims to support professional women’s cycling and create an avenue for better feedback on the development of women’s specific technologies.
Over the course of the training season, team members will also be using Primal MapMyRide smartphone application which tracks and broadcasts speed, distance, and heart rate to the team’s group page on beta.mapmyride.com and on the team’s main site primalprowomensracing.com. Cycling fans and potential racers will be able to learn from team members’ training regimes by monitoring that data, reading team members’ blog posts and interacting with them by using the site’s social media tools.
“We’ve formed a very strong team of women. People that other women, and even men, can look to for training advice and competitive inspiration,” said Team Director Susannah Gordon. “Besides riding to win, two unique aspects of the team will be helping develop women’s specific products, and fans will be able to learn from and interact with team members using GPS-based social media.”
Primal/MapMyRIDE Professional Women’s Racing powered by BH Bikes’ roster includes the following riders based in California, Colorado and Utah.
- Emily Kachorek, Sacramento, Calif. – Former U-23 National Champion, 20 podium finishes in 2010
- Gwen Inglis, Lakewood, Colo. – 2009 Colorado State Criterium Champion, 2005 Master’s National Road Race Champion, 2005 American Cycling Association (ACA) Best All Around Rider
- Kasey Clark, Louisville, Colo. – 3rd Colorado Senior Road Championships, multiple podium finishes in Colorado area stage races and criteriums
- Liza Rachetto, Los Altos, Calif. – International racing experience with teams in France, Italy, Japan, El Salvador, Australia and New Zealand, 1st GP 24h di Feltre (ITA), 17th stage 2 Trophee d Or Feminin (FRA), 1st Monterey Circuit Race, 2nd Speedweek Dilworth Criterium, 12th USA Cycling National Crit Championships
- Megan Hottman, Golden, Colo. – 2010 Colorado State Criterium & Time Trial Champion and Colorado Best All Around Rider
- Nicky Wangsgard, Salt Lake City – 2009 and 2010 SUPERWEEK Women’s Pro Tour Champion
- Nicole Evans, Salt Lake City – 2010 Utah State Criteium and Time Trial Champion, 2010 Utah Cycling Association Women’s Current Points Leader
- Tiffany Pezzulo, Salt Lake City – 2nd overall 2010 USA CRITS Series, 2009 Utah State Criterium Champion
BH Bikes is sponsoring the team with its women’s specific Cristal road bike, a top-level road bike with geometry and sizing based on the company’s European design experience, input from high-end bicycle retailers and fitters, and customer feedback. Team members will also use SIDI’s women’s specific Genius 6.6 shoes, clothing from Primal’s women’s line, and will be involved in future product development with all of the team’s sponsors.
In addition to riding and winning, Primal/MapMyRIDE’s mission is to support and promote women’s competitive cycling.
“There are a lot of talented female cyclists around the country that would like to race,” said Dave Edwards, Primal Wear founder and CEO. “Our hope for Primal/MapMyRIDE is that others will see what we are doing, build similar teams on the same model, and come out and race.”
To garner national-level results and to encourage growth in the sport, the team will compete at the following high-profile USA Cycling sanctioned and National Racing Calendar (NRC) events:
- February 9-13, John Earley Memorial Valley of the Sun Stage Race
- March 30 – April 3, Redlands Bicycle Classic
- April 14-17, Sea Otter Classic
- April 27 – May 1, Tour of the Gila
- April 30 – May 8, USA CRITS Speedweek
- May 5-8, Joe Martin Stage Race
- June 10-12, The Saint Francis Tulsa Tough
- June 21-26, US Elite Road Nationals
- July 19-24, Cascade Cycling Classic
Additional support of Primal/MapMyRide is provided by Dash, FSA, Retül, Reynolds, SIDI, Smith Optics, and Vittoria as second tier sponsors, and third tier sponsors are Breeze Bars, Enzo’s Cycling Products, Giro, Lizards Skins and Treads.com.