World Champion Zdenek Stybar (Telenet-Fidea) and Katie Compton (Planet Bike/Stevens) continued their unbeaten streak to win the opener of the 2010-2011 Patrick Cyclo-cross World Cup in Aigle, Switzerland.
In the Women’s race, the Dutch got off to a good start with Sanne van Paassen (BrainWash) and Daphny van den Brand (ZZPR.nl-Destil) taking an early lead. After crashing, Van Paassen dropped away from the front, and after one lap Van den Brand had a gap of six seconds over Hanka Kupfernagel and ten seconds over Compton and Sanne Cant (BKCP-Powerplus). Compton bridged up to Van den Brand during the second lap and kept her momentum to go clear.
The American rider left Van den Brand behind and clocked the fastest lap of the race, a 6:30 on the third lap, 4 seconds faster than Nash’s 6:34 on the final lap. (See detailed lap by lap)
6-time and reigning USA National champion Compton continued her solo attack to grab her seventh victory in a World Cup race. Van den Brand finished half a minute later to take second place. A few seconds later Katerina Nash (Luna) won the sprint for third in front of Van Paassen.
USA’s Amy Dombroski finished 19th followed by Sue Butler in 20th. Canada’s Vicki Thomas came in 40th.
Belgian National Champion Sven Nys (Landbouwkrediet) got the best start but Stybar was right there on his wheel and took over the front to try and create the early selection. Half-way through the 11-lap race, a group of 11 was off the front with Niels Albert (BKCP-Powerplus) taking his turn at the front.
Time after time, Stybar put in attacks to drop the others but they stuck on, until after seven laps, he stepped once again on the gas and the rubber band finally broke. The obstacles on the fast but technical course were seemingly no problem for Stybar, who was one of the multiple riders to hop the hurdles on his bike but one of the few to ride through the entirety of the long sand section. Stybar opened up about twenty seconds on a first chasing group with Albert, Dieter Vanthourenhout (BKCP-Powerplus) and Klaas Vantornout (Sunweb-Revor). With two laps to go, Albert pulled out all the stops – clocking the fastest lap of the day at 5:40 – and the former World Champion left his rivals behind. Stybar was still enjoying a comfortable advantage over Albert and he focused on making it safely to the finish line during the last lap. Albert easily held on for second place while Kevin Pauwels (Telenet-Fidea) joined his team-mate Stybar on the podium with two impressive last laps, in which he overtook Vantornout and Vanthourenhout. (See detailed lap by lap)
Watch final lap on sporza
Highest-placed American finisher was Jonathan Page (Planet Bike) in 19th. Jeremy Powers led the Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com squad in 20th followed by Jamey Driscoll in 24th and US National Champion Tim Johnson in 26th. Canada’s Mike Garrigan finished 52nd.
After Aigle, the 2010-2011 Patrick Cyclo-cross World Cup will continue with a further seven rounds, in Plsen (CZE), Koksijde (BEL), Igorre (ESP), Kalmthout (BEL), Heusden-Zolder (BEL), Pont-Château (FRA) and Hoogerheide (NED).
Top 10 Elite Women (Complete Results)
1. Katie Compton (USA), Planet Bike/Stevens 40:07
2. Daphny van den Brand (NED), ZZPR.nl-Destil +00:30
3. Katerina Nash (CZE), Luna Pro Team +00:38
4. Sanne van Paassen (NED), BrainWash +00:39
5. Hanka Kupfernagel (GER) +1:09
6. Helen Wyman (GBR), Kona +1:24
7. Christel Ferrier-Bruneau (FRA), Vienne Futuroscope +1:30
8. Sanne Cant (BEL), BKCP-Powerplus +1:48
9. Caroline Mani (FRA), Vienne Futuroscope +1:49
10. Sophie de Boer (NED) +2:07
19. Amy Dombroski (USA) +3:12
20. Sue Butler (USA) +3:34
40. Vicki Thomas (CAN) -2lap
Top 10 Elite Men (Complete Results)
1. Zdenek Stybar (CZE) Telenet-Fidea 1:03:48
2. Niels Albert (BEL) BKCP-Powerplus +00:09
3. Kevin Pauwels (BEL) Telenet-Fidea +00:14
4. Klaas Vantornout (BEL) Sunweb-Revor +00:20
5. Dieter Vanthourenhout (BEL) BKCP-Powerplus +00:28
6. Francis Mourey (FRA) FDJ +00:30
7. Sven Vanthourenhout (BEL) Sunweb-Revor st
8. Steve Chainel (FRA) Bbox Bouygues Telecom +00:31
9. Sven Nys (BEL) Landbouwkrediet +00:43
10. Bart Wellens (BEL) Telenet-Fidea +00:54
19. Jonathan Page (USA) Planet Bike +02:41
20. Jeremy Powers (USA) Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com +02:44
24. James Driscoll (USA) Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com +02:52
26. Timothy Johnson (USA) Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com +03:02
52. Mike Garrigan (CAN) -2lap