The second race in the Verge New England Championship Cyclo-Cross Series presented by Cycle Smart saw a repeat of Tim Johnson (Cannondale/cyclocrossworld.com)’s domination while Andrea Smith (Ladies First) took her first ever UCI win.
The Elite Women’s race was clearly owned by the Ladies First cycling team with Smith taking victory with her teammates Ann D’Ambruoso second and Christina Tamilio third. Yet another Ladies First racer, yesterday’s runner-up, Crystal Anthony, took fourth place. For Smith, the victory was sweet, but her team’s showing was even more important.
“Today was three years in the making,” said Smith, referring to the team’s beginnings as several women related to Landry’s Bicycles, members of Minuteman Road Club and coached by Larry Felton. For each racer on the podium, today’s was their best result in a UCI race.
While Smith was solo off the front, having taken advantage of mishaps by Sara Bresnick-Zocchi (crossresults.com/pedalpowercoaching.com p/b JRA Cycles) and Rebecca Blatt (Silver Bull/Central Wheel), the remaining three Ladies First racers were forced to sprint for the second and third steps of the podium. Anthony, having bested Mo Bruno-Roy yesterday in a sprint, was overtaken by her teammates today and came fourth. For the first time in her cycling career, the Verge NECCS leader’s jersey moved to the shoulders of Smith.
The Elite Men’s race was almost a carbon copy of yesterday’s race with Johnson taking an early lead and holding it the whole day. Behind, the chase today was more dynamic with a strong trio of racers working to bring Johnson back. Luca Damiani (El Gato CX p/b Podium Cycling) once again was on the hunt, today joined by Justin Lindine (bikereg.com/Cannondale) and Justin Spinelli (Richard Sachs/RGM Watches/Radix). Like yesterday, Damiani was the strongest of the chase and came through second after dropping his companions on the last lap.
Lindine managed to put some space behind him, taking third and relegating the resurgent Spinelli to fourth. The sprint for fifth place determined today’s U-23 winner as Luke Keough (Champion Systems p/b Keough Cyclocross) held off Jerome Townsend (bikereg.com/Joe’s Garage/Scott) with Jesse Keough (Champion Systems p/b Keough Cyclocross) third.
Top 10 Elite Women (Complete Results)
1. Andrea Smith (LadiesFirst Racing)
2. Ann D’Ambruoso (LadiesFirst Racing)
3. Christina Tamilio (LadiesFirst Racing)
4. Crystal Anthony (LadiesFirst Racing)
5. Sara Bresnick-Zocchi (crossresults.com/Pedalpowercoaching.com)
6. Rebecca Blatt (Silver Bull/Central Wheel)
7. Rebecca Wellons (Pedro’s)
8. Kris Walker (Contender)
9. Anna Barensfeld (LadiesFirst Racing)
10. Katerine Northcott ()
Top 10 Elite Men (Complete Results)
1. Timothy Johnson (Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld.com)
2. Luca Damiani (Colavita Sutter Home p/b CookingLight)
3. Justin Lindine (BikeReg.com / Cannondale)
4. Justin Spinelli (Richard Sachs/RGM Watches/Radix)
5. Luke Keough (Champion Systems p/b Keough Cyclocross)
6. Jerome Townsend (BikeReg.com / Joe’s Garage / Scott)
7. Philip Wong (Antero Resources – Seaside Cycle)
8. Joachim Parbo (KCH Leopard Cycles)
9. Adam Myerson (Cycle-Smart)
10. Matthew O’Keefe (cyclocrossworld.com)
Photo Gallery (Click for larger images)