Alison Starnes (TIBCO/To The Top) continues to prove that she is a serious threat in time trials, clocking the best time at the St Paul Time Trial, the opening stage for the Nature Valley Grand Prix. Starnes set 14:38, with an average speed of 24.599 mph over the 6.1-mile course with its finishing kicker, a half-mile climb. In second and third spots are HTC-Columbia teammates Linda Villumsen and Evelyn Stevens at 4 and 5 seconds down respectively.
It’s now time for tactics for Starnes and her TIBCO/To The Top team. Protect the yellow jersey and go for sprint wins with Brooke Miller.
Emma Rickards (TIBCO/To The Top)|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o57iBxFj9ss
Evelyn Stevens (HTC-Columbia)|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnW3mZnc9r4
The racing continues that same day with the St Paul Downtown Criterium, a 28-lap affair with turns, some tight and brick roads. At stake is not only the stage win but the time bonuses of 5, 3 and 1 associated with the 3 intermediate sprint and the time bonus of 10, 6 and 4 seconds at the finish. Every second does count at Nature Valley Grand Prix.
Top 10 Stage Results
1 * Alison Starnes (Team TIBCO) .14’38″
2. * Linda Melanie Villumsen (HTC Columbia) 4″
3. Evelyn Stevens (HTC Columbia) 5″
4. Alison Powers (Team Vera Bradley Foundation) 7″
5. Ruth Corset (Team TIBCO) 9″
6. Katharine Carroll (Peanut Butter & Co TWENTY12) 16″
7. Anne Samplonius (Team Vera Bradley Foundation) 21″
8. Shelley Evans (Peanut Butter & Co TWENTY12) 23″
9. * Emilia Fahlin (HTC Columbia) 23″
10. Carmen Small (Colavita/Baci Pro Cycling Team) 24″