Saturday was a day of doubles at Joe Martin Stage Race which took the riders around a 23-mile loop with over 1,500 feet of climbing per lap. Once again, Modesta Vzesniauskaite (Colavita/Baci) bested all in the bunch sprint to the line to make it two consecutive wins for the Lithuanian sprinter. The men’s race also came down to a sprint finish and this time it was Jonathan Cantwell that crossed the line first making it two victories for his Fly V Australia team.
No changes on GC. Alison Powers (Team VBF) and Luis Amaran (Jamis/Sutter Home) still lead with one stage to go, the Sunday criterium in the 12-corner technical course with an uphill finish.
Australia flies again. It didn’t take long for attacks to fly in the men’s 92 miles (148 km) stage. Frustated by his 1-minute time penalty that pushed him down on GC, Andrew Talansky (CalGiant) went on the 11-mile stretch from the start/finish line to the loops. Patrick Bevin (Rubicon-ORBEA), Taylor Sheldon (Holowesko Partners), Josh Dillon (BikeReg/Cannondale) and Corey Collier (OUCH-Bahati) read the move and made their way into the break. Soon after, more riders bridged up making it 10 riders. Adding to the power in the break were Karl Menzies (UnitedHealthcare), Bernie Sulzberger (Fly V Australia), Evan Hyde (OUCH-Bahati), Sid Taberlay (CalGiant) and Andy Bajadali (Kelly Benefit).
Protecting Amaran’s lead, Jamis/Sutter Home put every team member at the front of the field. A trio of chasers, David Boily (Spidertech Planet Engery), Peter Latham (BISSELL) and Juan Pablo Dotti (Aerocat) dangled in between the break and field for a lap before being reabsorbed by the pack.
Before the end of the first time around the loop the gap had grown to 45 seconds and kept on increasing, hitting the 3-minute mark halfway in the race. Team Type 1 then put in riders into the rotation to bring back the break and set up a bunch sprint. On the final and third time around the loop, BISSELL added two riders to the rotation to protect their second and third spot on GC.
For a while it did look as if the break would make it to the finish line, but it all came back together in the final 5 kilometers before the fast drag race downhill to the line. Cantwell crossed first followed by Daniel Holloway (BISSELL) and Aldo Ino Ilesic (Team Type 1).
Amaran finished safely in eleventh place and still leads with 3 seconds on Ben Jacques-Maynes and 11 seconds on Jeremy Vennell, both of BISSELL.
Joe Martin Stage Race concludes with the 90-minute in downtown Fayetteville for the men starting at 3:00pm. Once again, time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds are available on the line.
Et de deux pour Modesta. Both Colavita/Baci, TIBCO/To The Top and Webcor teams attacked early on in the 69 miles (111 km) race but every move was contained and the field settled in as they cruised twice around the loop. The race heated up again as the field made it way back to the start/finish line on the 11-mile road back. Meredith Miller (TIBCO/To The Top) attacked a few times on the rolling section with headwind but it all came back together in time for the downhill finish.
Vzesniauskaite won the bunch sprint of Laura Van Gilder (DFT Treads) and Erica Allar (Team VBF).
Powers still leads GC with 4 seconds on Katheryn Curi Mattis (Webcor) and 15 seconds on Alison Starnes (TIBCO/To The Top).
Final stage on Sunday is a 60-minute criterium in downtown Fayetteville for the women starting at 11:30am. Once again, time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds are available on the line.
Men Top 10 Stage 3 Results (Full Results)
1. Jonathan Cantwell (Fly V Australia) 3:22:03
2. Daniel Holloway (BISSELL) st
3. Aldo Ino Ilesic (Team Type 1) st
4. Luca Damiani (Kenda GearGrinders) st
5. Jacob Keough (UnitedHealthcare Maxxis) st
6. Simon Lambert-Lemay (Spidertech Planet Energy) st
7. Andrew Pinfold (UnitedHealthcare Maxxis) st
8. Nick Walker (Holowesko Partners) st
9. Eric Schildge (Mt Khakis) st
10. Kenneth Hanson (Team Type 1) st
Men Top 10 GC after stage 3 (Full Results)
1. Luis Amaran (Jamis/Sutter Home) 4:22:08
2. Benjamin Jacques-Maynes (BISSELL) +0:13
3. Jeremy Vennell (BISSELL) +0:22
4. Benjamin Day (Fly V Australia) +0:26
5. Jason Donald (OUCH p/b Bahati Foundation) +0:27
6. Francois Parisien (Spidertech p/b Planet Energy) +0:31
7. Bernard Sulzberger (Fly V Australia) +0:37
8. Tyler Wren (Jamis/Sutter Home) +0:39
9. Eric Boily (Spidertech p/b Planet Energy) st
10. Mike Creed (Team Type 1) +0:44
Women Top 10 Stage 3 Results (Full Results)
1. Modesta Vzesniauskaite (Colavita/Baci) 3:09:21
2. Laura Van Gilder (Treads DFT) st
3. Erica Allar (Team VBF) st
4. Meredith Miller (TIBCO/To The Top) st
5. Kat Carr (Treads DFT) st
6. Monica Loren Mendez (INDERCAS Colombia) st
7. Shontell Gauthier (Colavita/Baci) st
8. Alison Testroete (Team VBF) st
9. Lauren Robertson st
10. Amy McGuire (Wheelworks Racing) st
Women Top 10 GC after stage 3 (Full Results)
1. Alison Powers (Team VBF) 3:04:59
2. Katheryn Curi Mattis (Webcor Builders) +0:05
3. Alison Starnes (TIBCO/To The Top) +0:14
4. Meredith Miller (TIBCO/To The Top) +0:30
5. Anne Samplonius (Nanoblur Gears) +0:31
6. Amanda Miller (TIBCO/To The Top) +0:33
7. Rushlee Buchanan (Colavita/Baci) +0:34
8. Modesta Vzesniauskaite (Colavita/Baci) +0:35
9. Robin Farina (Team VBF) +0:37
10. Alisha Welsh (Peanut Butter Co TWENTY12) +0:39
Photo Gallery (Click for larger images)
[smugmug url=”http://lynelamoureux.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=12114094_Hn6Ph&format=rss200″ imagecount=”100″ start=”1″ num=”100″ thumbsize=”Th” link=”lightbox” captions=”false” sort=”false” window=”false” smugmug=”false” size=”X1″]
[smugmug url=”http://lynelamoureux.smugmug.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=12114039_7F75F&format=rss200″ imagecount=”100″ start=”1″ num=”100″ thumbsize=”Th” link=”lightbox” captions=”false” sort=”false” window=”false” smugmug=”false” size=”X1″]