Carmen Small (Colavita/Baci) attacked the six-rider break group to win the 47-mile Sea Otter road race this afternoon. Small was able to pull away from second place Dotsie Bausch (SoCal Velo) with half a lap to go. Rebecca Much (TIBCO/To The Top) was not far behind to capture third.
Women’s report by Stephanie Gutowski
The women were together for most of the race. Though several riders tried to break, no break stuck until Small and Olivia Dillon (Peanut Butter & Co. TWENTY12) attacked the field with two laps to go. This year’s road course took the riders on a hilly circuit around Fort Ord.
The lead group also contained Ruth Clemence (Specialized). Clemence who began road racing in 2007 at the age of 47, is the 2009 Masters Road and Time Trial World Champion. She finished fourth today.
Mach’s turn. After being beaten by Levi Leipheimer on the final uphill drag race to the finish line last year, Paul Mach (BISSELL) wanted to win this one today. He had the numbers behind him as his team fielded a strong 8-rider squad for the 68-mile SRAM Road Race at the Sea Otter Classic. The field was stronger and bigger that yesterday’s criterium with the Yahoo! Cycling and CalGiant teams starting more riders and riders from other teams also joined in the fun. As did legend Ned Overend (Specialized) who finished fourteenth overall.
After multiple attacks, a break finally stuck, and Mach bridged up the move after trying a few times to get things started earlier. Also in the break were Rob Britton (BISSELL) and two Yahoo! Cycling riders Evan Huffman and Adam Switters. The four put the pedal down and got a gap fairly quickly to the field. With both Yahoo and BISSELL represented in the move, the chasing was pretty much left to the team with numbers in the race, the California Giant Specialized squad with help from the two UnitedHealthcare riders Roman Kilun and Max Jenkins.
In the final laps it was game on for the riders in the break who had a gap hovering the two minute mark. The BISSELL duo put in digs to drop the Yahoo! riders, first it was Huffman then Switters who dropped back to the field. With one lap to go, Philip Mooney (Yahoo! Cycling) launched out of the field with Ben Jacques-Maynes (BISSELL) covering the move and sitting on with his teammates off the front.
Mach and Britton came to the finish line together with Mach taking the win. Jacques-Maynes attacked Mooney on the final climb to the finish to take third a minute a half later and deliver another sweep to BISSELL. Mooney was fourth and Kyle Wamsley (BISSELL) took fifth.
Photo Gallery (Click for larger images)
[smugmug url="http://www.lynelamoureux.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=11864261_mvXjB&format=rss200" imagecount="100" start="1" num="100" thumbsize="Th" link="lightbox" captions="false" sort="false" window="false" smugmug="false" size="X1"]
[smugmug url="http://www.lynelamoureux.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=11864077_PiYvb&format=rss200" imagecount="100" start="1" num="100" thumbsize="Th" link="lightbox" captions="false" sort="false" window="false" smugmug="false" size="X1"]
Top 10 Women
1. Carmen Small (Colavita/Baci) 2:21:10
2. Dotsie Bausch (SCVelo) 2:21:17
3. Rebecca Much (TIBCO/To The Top) 2:21:35
4. Ruth Clemence (Specialized D4W Bicyclehaus) 2:21:49
5. Olivia Dillon (Peanut Butter Co TWENTY12) 2:22:21
6. Courtney O’Donnell (Herbalife LaGrange) 2:24:14
7. Ali Starnes (TIBCO/To The Top) 2:25:03
8. Meredith Miller (TIBCO/To The Top) 2:25::35
9. Amanda Miller (TIBCO/To The Top) 2:25:38
10. Modesta Vzesniauskaite (Colavita/Baci) 2:25:45
Top 10 Men
1. Paul Mach (BISSELL) 2:57:46
2. Rob Britton (BISSELL) 2:57:46
3. Ben Jacques-Maynes (BISSELL) 2:59:20
4. Philip Mooney (Yahoo! Cycling) 2:59:26
5. Kyle Wamsley (BISSELL) 3:00:41
6. Jonathan McCarty (Yahoo! Cycling) 3:00:54
7. Andy Jacques-Maynes (BISSELL) 3:00:56
8. Jesse Moore (CalGiant) 3:01:01
9. Eddy Kwon (Prerace.com) 3:01:04
10. Burke Swindlehurst (TeamGive p/b Blackbottoms) 3:01:05