Deja vu all over again at the Boulder Cup, the eighth race of the NACT. The conditions couldn’t have been different to Saturday’s race but that didn’t seem to matter to either US Cross Champion Katie Compton (Planet Bike) nor to Tim Johnson (Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com) who both did it again, yep they soloed to another win. And Johnson’s boys in green went 1-2-3 again.
Compton continued her domination of the cross race scene in US, and her undefeated streak this year, as she soloed to another victory on a sunny day in Boulder Colorado. Once again, the battle was for the other podium spots behind her. This time, it was Amy Dombroski (Richard Sachs/RGM) who finished second, at almost three minutes behind Compton. Alison Dunlap (Luna Chix) was third with Meredith Miller (CalGiant) in fourth and Kelli Emmett (Giant Bicycles) rounding off the top five.
When I told Tim Johnson that there was talk that he was on the form of his life after his win last week in Louisville, he scoffed. Well, maybe not the form of his life … maybe, but definitely darn good form, as the Cannondale-Cyclocrossworld.com rider soloed to another win in Boulder. With US Champ Ryan Trebon (KONA) recovering from his crash from last weekend, Johnson had only one competitor to contend with, his teammate Jeremy Powers. The pair battled as they were both off the front, but Johnson took advantage of a mistake from Powers and was off. And that was all she wrote.
Johnson crossed the finish line 35 seconds ahead of Powers. In third place, was once again Jamey Driscoll who chased solo for most of the race. Canadian Champion Geoff Kabush (Rocky Mountain-Maxxis) got another fourth, it this day of agains, and Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (Subaru/Gary Fisher) was fifth.
With his two wins this weekend, Johnson solidified his hold on the red leader’s jersey with two races left in the series. Historically seen as the highest paying cyclocross race in North America, Whitmore’s Landscaping Super Cross Cup is the North American Cyclocross Trophy series finale and will be held on November 21 and 22.
Tom 10 Elite Women
1. Katie Compton (Planet Bike)
2. Amy Dombroski (Richard Sachs/RGM)
3. Alison Dunlap (Luna Chix)
4. Meredith Miller (Cal Giant Berry Farm)
5. Kelli Emmett (Giant Bicycles)
6. Barbara Howe (Vanderkitten)
7. Alison Powers (Team Fuji)
8. Lisa Matlock Strong (Natural Grocers p/b)
9. Sarah Maile (Ventana Mountain Bik)
10. Kristal Boni (Blue sky Velo)
Top 10 Elite Men
1. Tim Johnson (Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld.com)
2. Jeremy Powers (Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld.com)
3. Jamey Driscoll (Cannondale/Cyclocrossworld.com)
4. Geoff Kabush (Rocky Mountain-Maxxis)
5. Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (Subaru/Gary Fisher)
6. Carl Decker (Giant MTB Team)
7. Chris Jones (Champion System)
8. Daniel Summerhill (Felt-Holowesko Partners-Garmin)
9. Davide Frattini (Team Fuji)
10. Adam Craig (Giant MTB Team)
Complete results here
Photos copyright Christopher See . Used with permission.