The 2009 USA Cycling Elite Track National Championships continued at the Home Depot Center velodrome on Thursday with the women’s team pursuit national record falling, an Olympian re-gaining his national title in the kilo and team pursuit and scratch race champions crowned. In all eight Stars-and-Stripes were awarded on the second day of competition.
As expected the women’s team pursuit race turned out to be one of the highlights of the evening’s competition as the trio of former pursuit world champion Sarah Hammer, Dotsie Bausch and former junior world championship pursuit medalist Kimberly Geist worked together to set a new national record with a time of 3:34.114. Riding for the Empower Coaching Systems squad the trio virtually bested their own mark of 3:34.783 set at this event in 2007 when Hammer and Bausch teamed up with keirin world champion Jennie Reed . Another powerhouse women’s team, the ProMan Hit Squad of Cari Higgins, Christen King and Shelley Olds earned the silver with a time of 3:41.165.
“I feel pretty honored to be riding with these two,” stated Geist following the record-setting ride. “We were really just looking to ride the best time possible, the record was just a bonus. Sarah was our pacesetter and I was just trying to maintain speed.”
The Trek-Livestrong squad of Taylor Phinney, Ian Moir, Julian Kyer and Justin Williams dominated the men’s team pursuit contest taking the Stars-and-Stripes by nearly 10 seconds. With a time of 4:25.83, such a dominant performance by a group of young men all under the age of 21 bodes well for the future of American track cycling. Coming in second with a time of 4:34.094 was the Black Dog Cycling squad of Daniel Lionberg, Ryan Luttrell, Ryan Sabga and Zach Watson.
In the day’s opening event 21-year-old Cristin Walker (Momentum Coaching) posted a time of 36.681 to top her personal best by more than two seconds in the 500-meter time trial. Last year’s winner and yesterday’s omnium champion Higgins had to settle for the silver. In addition to her first elite national title, Walker also earned the U23 gold with her ride and third-place-finisher Colleen Hayduk (Verducci Breakaway) grabbed silver in the espoir category.
In the scratch race, points race Olympian Bobby Lea (OUCH p/b Maxxis) was able to take advantage of the complacency of some of the other favorites to lap the field and win his first scratch race national title. Once the field was all together, Kyer attacked and got a gap to get the silver in the 15-kilometer contest while defending champion Daniel Holloway (Felt-Holowesko-Garmin) won the sprint for the bronze.
An aggressive women’s scratch race showed some good team tactics with the impressive ProMan squad helping Shelley Olds to back-to-back Stars-and-Stripes. Olds lapped the field solo and then counted on her team to control all attacks. Nineteen-year-old Hayduk earned her second medal on the day finishing second while Catherine Fiedler-Cook (Tommasini) was third.
In the nightcap Olympian Giddeon Massie (Bike Religion) posted a 1:02.793 to re-claim the kilometer time trial national title from phenom Phinney. Phinney did earn his second Stars-and-Stripes of the day, winning the U23 category, two weeks after his sinus surgery. Collegiate national champion David Espinoza (Bike America) earned the bronze with a 1:06.134.
Competition continues on Friday with the men’s and women’s individual pursuit, women’s keirin and men’s sprint events.
Women’s 500-meter Time Trial
1. *Cristin Walker (Houston, Texas) 36.681
2. Cari Higgins (Boulder, Colo.) 36.927
3. Colleen Hayduk (Kutztown, Pa.) 37.317
4. Jen Featheringill (Portland, Ord.) 37.545
5. Anna Lang (San Diego, Calif.) 37.859
Men’s Team Pursuit
1. Trek-Livestrong (Kyer, Moir, Williams, Phinney) 4:25.831
2. Black Dog Cycling (Lionberg, Luttrell, Sabga, Watson) 4:34.094
3. Ouch-Maxxis (Harm, Kilun, Lea, Pelaez) 4:34.191
Women’s Team Pursuit
1. Empower Coaching Systems (Bausch, Geist, Hammer) 3:34.1141
2. Proman Hit Squad (Higgins, King, Olds) 3:41.165
3. Broadmark Capital (Triplett, Wheeler, Thomas) 3:54.398
Women’s Scratch Race
1. Shelley Olds (Los Gatos, Calif./Proman)
2. Colleen Hayduk (Kutztown, Pa./Verducci-Breakaway)
3. Catherine Fiedler-Cook (Long Beach, Calif./Tommasini)
4. Anna Lang (La Jolla, Calif./B&L Bike & Sport)
5. Shelby Reynolds (Cypress, Texas/Sugar Cycles-180)
Men’s Scratch Race
1. Bobby Lea (Mertztown, Pa./Ouch p/b Maxxis)
2. Julian Kyer (Boulder, Colo./Trek-Livestrong)
3. Daniel Holloway (Morgan Hill, Calif./Felt-Holowesko-Garmin)
4. Jacob Duehring (Irvine, Calif./Felt Factory Team)
5. Eric Barlevav (Northridge, Calif./Team Mountain Khakis)
*U23 national champion
Report from usacycling.org