The 2009 USA Cycling Elite Track National Championships are taking place right now at the Home Depot Center Velodrome in Carson, Calif. on the campus of California State University, Dominguez Hills and will conclude on October 4th.
More than 300 elite cyclists from across the United States, including rising stars, as well as 2012 Olympic hopeful, will compete in the five-day event. The competition features both sprint events (match sprint, time trial (500m and 1km), Keirin and team sprint) and endurance races (individual pursuit, team pursuit, scratch race, points race and the Madison).
World Champion and 2008 Olympian Taylor Phinney (Trek-Livestrong) is scheduled to compete. Phinney will be defending his individual pursuit national title and will also apply his skills in both the timed events and endurance races. A member of the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team, Phinney also set a new junior world record at the ADT Event Center last year.
Other riders scheduled to compete are former Elite Criterium National Champion Daniel Holloway (Felt-Holowesko Partners-Garmin)who won the men’s 4,000-meter team pursuit, madison, scratch and U23 points race last year, Olympian Adam Duvendeck (Momentum), and Ben Jacques-Maynes (BISSELL), many of whom began training on the track at the Home Depot Center. On the women’s side several heavy hitters are set to compete, including the recent winner of the Giro della Toscana’s sprint jersey Shelley Olds (Proman), Pan American medalist Cari Higgins (Proman) and former pursuit world champion Sarah Hammer (American Track Foundation).
Events on Wednesday, Sept. 30 through Saturday, October 3 start at 4:00 p.m. The final day of competition on Sunday, October 4 will begin at Noon.
- Wednesday, September 30: Men’s Omnium (200m TT, 5 km Scratch Race, 3 km Individual Pursuit, 15 km Points Race and 1 km TT), Women’s Omnium (200m TT, 5 km Scratch Race, 2 km Individual Pursuit, 10 km Points Race and 500 m TT ), Men’s Standing Start 250m TT
- Thursday, October 1: Women’s 500m TT, Men Team Pursuit Final, Men Scratch Heats, Women Scratch Heats, Women Team Pursuit Final, Women Scratch Final, Men Scratch Final and Men’s Kilo
- Friday, October 2: Men Sprint Qualification – 200m, Men Pursuit, Women Pursuit, Men Sprint, Women Keirin
- Saturday, October 3: Women Sprint, Men Keirin, Men Points, Women Points
- Sunday, October 4: Women Team Sprint, Men Team Sprint, Men Madison, Women Madison