Today, USA Cycling announced the recipients of its annual Club of the Year awards. Ten USA Cycling-sanctioned clubs received recognition for outstanding programs throughout the 2008 season and will receive complimentary registration fees for the 2009 racing season.
Clubs were judged on several key areas including race promotion, membership composition, instructional clinics and seminars, club activities, charitable contributions and racing performance.
Of USA Cycling’s 2,216 member clubs, approximately 76 applied for consideration in 10 separate categories.
Three primary clubs were recognized based on membership size (Division I = 76+ members, Division II = 30-75 members and Division III = 1-29 members), while seven additional clubs were awarded with the Club of the Year designation based on specific categories – mountain bike, collegiate, track, new club, women’s, master’s, and junior/high school.
2008 USA Cycling Club of the Year Recipients
- Division I Club of the Year: Los Gatos Bicycle Racing Club – Saratoga, Calif.
- Division II Club of the Year: Cross Creek Cycling Club – Fayetteville, N.C.
- Division III Club of the Year: Sorella Cycling Club – Atlanta, Ga.
- Mountain Bike Club of the Year: Black Bear Cycling – Sussex, N.J.
- Collegiate Club of the Year: United States Air Force Academy – Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Track Club of the Year: Hammer Racing Team – Littleton, Colo.
- Best New Club of the Year: Red Zone Cycling – Louisville, Ky.
- Women’s Club of the Year:Velo Girls Bicycle Club – San Mateo, Calif.
- Master’s Club of the Year: Cross Creek Cycling Club – Fayetteville, N.C.
- Junior/High School Club of the Year: Red Zone Cycling – Louisville, Ky.
Congratulations to all the clubs and thank you for all the hard work in all areas including but not limited to race promotion, clinics and seminars, and charitable contributions.
Read more about each club in the USA Cycling article