The NRC calendar heats up and teams have to decide which races to target.
After taking a break from the early California races, the NRC swings into its back to back (to back) stage races, for both men and women – the Ben D. Altamirano Memorial Tour of the Gila, in New Mexico on April 30 – May 4, the Joe Martin Stage Race in Arkansas, on May 8-11 and then the Mt Hood Cycling Classic in Oregon, on May 13–18.
At the same time, three NRC-rated criteriums are held on the weekends, the Sunny King Crit in Alabama on May 3, and the Nalley Historic Roswell Criterium in Georgia on May 4, and the Bank of America Wilmington Grand Prix in Delaware on May 17.
And just to make logistics even more complicated for the pro teams, the U.S Air Force Cycling Classic, in Virgina, a race on the US Pro Tour calendar is scheduled for May 4.
Pretty expensive and truly impossible for a team to try and race all these events. Is the NRC worth it? More on that in a future post.
After 6 races in the men’s calendar, the top 5 in the NRC standings are:
Men’s Individual Standings
1. Santiago Botero (COL/Rock Racing) 286
2. Rory Sutherland (AUS/Health Net-Maxxis) 198
3. Chris Baldwin (Boulder, Colo./Toyota-United) 165
4. Burke Swindlehurst (Salt Lake City, Utah/Bissell) 147
5. Dominique Rollin (CAN/Toyota-United) 125
Men’s Team Standings
1. Rock Racing 492
2. Toyota-United Pro Cycling Team 439
3. Health Net Pro Cycling Team presented by Maxxis 395
4. Colavita/Sutter Home Men’s Cycling Team presented by Cooking Light 368
5. Successful Living Pro Cycling Team 340
After 5 races in the women’s calendar, the top 5 in the NRC standings are:
Women’s Individual Standings
1. Alex Wrubleski (CAN/Webcor) 302
2. Mara Abbott (Boulder, Colo./High Road) 255
3. Katharine Carroll (Sausalito, Calif./Aaron’s) 224
4. Tiffany Cromwell (AUS/Colavita-Sutter Home) 209
5. Leigh Hobson (CAN/Cheerwine) 184
Women’s Team Standings
1. High Road 593
2. Cheerwine Professional Cycling Team 588
3. Aaron’s Cycling Team 455
4. Webcor Builders Women’s Professional Cycling Team 454
5. Colavita/Sutter Home Women’s Cycling Team presented by Cooking Light 417
Need more racing? The USA Crits Speedweek, 7 criteriums in 8 days in the Southeastern United States, is happening this week. Not part of the NRC calendar, these crits do offer some nice prize money and serious bragging rights for the riders.